A Manifesto for Emotional Value at work.
- Value the emotional and mental state of people with higher significance than targets.- A friendly tone and collaborative decision making needs to be encouraged over siloes and authoritative decision making based on rank
- Diversity & inclusiveness needs to be promoted at all levels and voices of racism & exclusion needs to be rooted out immediately.
- Welcome new ideas and people and value experienced in the team.
- Teams and organisations need to provide a safe environment for individuals to share their emotions without judgement or consequence based on what has been shared.
- People’s mood comes first before any other discussion or business outcome. Emotional health is fundamental to any success.
- Team and managers must prioritise & truly care about an individual’s emotional state and have conversations every week or bi-weekly .
- Individuals should feel they can share their feelings with the team and business as this will help them to achieve their goals.
- A Happy team should be the measurement of the Team’s success.
- Organisations, Teams and Individuals should relentlessly work on rooting out things which cause stress and unhappiness to anyone like discrimination, racism, bullying and exclusion .
- New ideas and people should not be treated as a threat to the existing establishment but must be embraced.
- The tone of voice in emails, on calls or in meetings should be friendly, collaborative, encouraging and there should be zero tolerance towards bullying & condescension.
How to use your MoodBoard
Step 1 - Introduce the Mood board
The purpose of a mood board is to check how the team is feeling and if people need any help or support.
Let people know that that it's ok to express yourself openly
Step 2 - Check people's Moods
Ask people to select an emoji on the board that best reflects how they feel,
Attendees can also select their own mood on their phone by scanning the board QR code.
Make sure people know that there is no wrong answer.
Step 3 - Review Moods & Check if People need any Help
Ask all of the attendees about the moods they've selected, why they selected this, and if there is anything the team can do to help.
All responses are valid - make sure that people are not criticized for selecting a negative mood